Join alumni, parents and friends from several CSU campuses for a unique opportunity to tour the California Maritime Academy's Training Ship Golden Bear as Cal Maritime cadets bring the ship to port in Seattle. Established in 1929, The California Maritime Academy, a campus of The California State University, is the only degree-granting maritime academy on the West Coast.
The visit to Seattle is part of the annual training voyage included in the specialized curriculum offered at Cal Maritime and provides students who are pursuing a U.S. Coast Guard license with the hours of sea experience they need to graduate and work aboard ships of any size worldwide.
The Captain's Reception is a unique opportunity to board the working vessel, receive guided tours from Cal Maritime cadets and learn about their experiences at sea as they train to become future maritime leaders. Tours include the ship’s Bridge, Nav-Lab, Power Lab, Engine Room, Ballast Waste Water System, and general common areas.
Hors d’oeuvres will be served and a hosted bar is available.
Guests are welcome but space is limited so register today using the registration link below. Pre-event registration is required; no walk-ups or name changes day-of. Reservations close on June 24, 2013 at 4 p.m. PT or at capacity, whichever comes first.
Date: Tuesday, July 2, 2013
Time: 5-7 p.m.
Location: Port of Seattle, Pier 66 (Bell Street Cruise Terminal). 2225 Alaskan Way, Seattle, WA 98121. Please click here for a map or here for directions.
Cost: $25 per person (ages 12+) and $15 for children (ages 5-11). For safety, children under the age of 5 are not permitted on the ship and all children ages 5 and up attending this event should be watched by their guardian at all times.
Parking: Paid parking is conveniently available across from the terminal at the Bell Street Pier Garage located at 9 Wall Street. Enter at the corner of Alaskan Way and Wall Street (directions).
Attire: Dress is business casual. For your safety, please wear slacks and closed-toed, flat shoes (no heels). We can't allow anyone wearing flip flops or open-toed shoes to board.
Accessibility: Please note, the TS Golden Bear does not have assist access. Please see the safety box below for further details.
Participating CSU Campuses
Alumni from these campuses are invited to participate.
CSU East Bay
CSU Monterey Bay
San Francisco State University
San José State University
Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
Sonoma State University
If you are a graduate of California Maritime Academy, please register directly with Cal Maritime here.
Take a look at the photos from last year's visit to the Port of Los Angeles.
Questions? Contact Aaron Moore at email@example.com or 562-951-4509.
Please note that we are unable to provide refunds for this event.
Please note that for safety reasons:
1) Children under the age of 5 are not allowed aboard the TS Golden Bear.
2) Each guest must provide their full legal name (as it appears on a valid government-issued photo ID) upon registration (no guest TBD or plus 1).
3) Each guest must have a valid government-issued photo ID (only exception are minor children, ages 5 to 17, attending with registered guardian) and present it at the event.
4) The TS Golden Bear does not have assist access--each guest must be able to board without assistance from crutches, walkers, manual or electric wheelchairs, canes and free of casts. Guests will be required to climb steep staircases to access reception, restrooms and tour areas.
5) The TS Golden Bear is a working vessel. Guests should wear slacks and comfortable closed-toed, flat shoes (no heels). Any person wearing flip-flops or open toed shoes will not be permitted to board. Attire for the event is business casual.